Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Long Time

So I know it has been a long time since I have posted here, but there have been some things happening that I think I want to share.

First of all, I made a realization a hour or so ago when I woke up in some pain and went to take some pain killers (story of the pain to come) I went to the fridge and ate one of these great little bananas called "Honey Bananas". They are the miniatures you see around but they are really creamy tasting and sweet! Best banana I have ever had! So anyway I was eating a couple to take the medication and I realized that I am no longer getting the "Tourist Tax" anywhere in my town. Most places you get dinged $20-$30 or more per pound for fruits and vegetables with the outside stands and sometimes at the bars for a beer. I don't remember when this happened, but I get charged the fair price now, and it just feels wonderful. Finally feeling accepted in my town is just a great feeling and it's making me feel something that I think is rare here, appreciation. Appreciation is rare here in Jamaica, not only for volunteers for myself, but for Jamaicans as well. When somebody does something for another person, you very rarely here a simple "Thank You" or even a smile. I guess it's something in the culture. I'm not saying you never see it, but just not that often. When I talk to teachers or people in other professions, I sometimes ask then if they feel appreciated in their work, and I've never heard a "Yes" I think a "PSA" is needed here to encourage people to thank each other, it might go a long way to making Jamaica a happier place.

Yesterday I helped put together this year's Christmas Tree lighting and it went off great. I think more people showed up for Christmas Carols and to hear some of the local leaders give encouraging speeches. Pam, the leader of the Business Association did an amazing job as always getting people together and to encourage donations. We had a bit of a "Charlie Brown Tree", but it was decorated with love and a crap load of those baby blinking lights! When the lights were hit, it really lit up the town square where the tree was. I handed out some cupcakes that Pam had gotten after the event and that got a little crazy. The kids kept coming back for more and after I gave them a couple more I found if I yelled at them in a joking way to "Gwon!" (go on) they giggled and stopped trying to get too many extras. The adults were just as bad. I guess they were good cupcakes! For a such a destitute place my village is, I think with these events, a little civic pride is creeping in. The bus loaders and mini-shop keepers in the town square all vowed to protect the tree and the decorations. Last year I don't think a single decoration was stolen for the two weeks the tree was up.

Two weeks before, we had the Annotto Bay Christmas Treat for the kids of the area between the ages of four and eight. It was even better than last year. I have to hand it to the teachers for allowing the kids to have fun, but to maintain some order. I got to ride in the parade this year drove in the Santa Truck up and down the main road. We started up at the top of the town where the hospital was and brought presents and visited the sick kids there. Our entourage of Vinny the Vienna Sausage, the National Brand Bird, "The Chocolate Yoohoo like drink Bear" (forget his name...), Santa Clause and one Peace Corps Volunteer were welcomed with warm smiles and even a few cheers from the kids that could cheer. Santa grabbed a few of the older ladies butts along the way, but I guess Santa gotta get his too!

We all jumped back into the truck and headed down to the main road where three of the costumed characters walked in front of the truck and kids rushed out of their schools to meet them. Hats off to those guys, it was HOT! We finally made it to the party grounds proper, and the characters grabbed a quick water, and went and danced with the kids for a bit. The kids were given hot dogs and snacks provided by the larger food companies on the island. They had ice cream, and then were given gifts that were paid for by donations that my city partner Jessica and I begged our friends and family for. The kids LOVED them. The day just couldn't have gone better.

So this brings me to what started out as a really fun event, a going away part for a great volunteer who had extended his service six moths to finish his projects. We had a really fun party in a beach house right on the water with about 12 volunteers. I won't go into any detail of the bad part of the evening, but I ended up hurting my back from an external force. Nobody got hurt (besides my back) but we were reminded that things are pretty rough here in Jamaica. So if you come and visit, please make sure that you get back inside at a reasonable hour, and lock up your doors.... After the unfortunate event, we had a fun white elephant Christmas gift exchange which I think raised our spirits a bit. I ended up with some cool coffee smelling candles. A GREAT gift when the power goes out a couple times a week!

So with less than 8 months to go, I have to say that I'm finally feeling accepted and even a little appreciated in my community. The bad stuff keeps you in check, but I think the good is outweighing it. During this holiday time I do confess to being pretty home sick, and I wish I could be back in California for Christmas.

Miss you all

-Jason

1 comment:

Janelle said...

Hey Jason! Thanks for the update! :D You're doing such a good job. Sorry to hear about Porti that must have been really scary. I read Jess and Josh's blog and they gave way more detail on the story than you did. I'm so VERY glad yall are ohk!! What are your plans for Christmas? Going to Grand Market!?