Saturday, July 19, 2008

Host Family

I am now staying at my site for two weeks of on the job training!

I drove to my site with my supervisor somewhere north of Kingston. It's a nice town with an interesting cast of characters whom I hope to meet soon! Sorry for being vague but the whole security thing you know....

The host family is great so far and have welcomed me into their home. I'm trying to be as open with them as possible asking many questions like "Is this OK with you?", "Am I dressed appropriately?", "Sure I'd love to come to church with you on Sunday to meet some of the community" or "Do you mind if I hold a kegger in your house?"............ JK on the last one. I'm SURE they would not appreciate that......

I really like my supervisor, he's a principle and obviously really cares about his school. The work they are doing at the school that I'll be involved with is very exciting and forward thinking. He's looking at me to do a lot of technical tasks that I am only moderately familiar with so I may be calling some of my tech friends.... (Yes you Jeff and Joe!!)

The real work has begun and the quick paced, hard training with the beer filled evenings with my fellow trainees are put on hold for a couple weeks. I'm getting a real taste of Jamaican life right now and so far so good.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Jay-son! first, I am SO sorry about winning the 'lamest friend' award before you left. it's not that I don't love you... it's that my sis was leaving at the same exact time, so I was very occupied.
second - how great that this has finally started for you! I just caught up on your notes, and it sounds like this is everything you hoped for, so far. please keep the stories and photos coming - so much more interesting than reading work email! ;)
also, if you're interested, I've also started blogging - http://bicrafty.wordpress.com/
you can see some stories and pics from our roadtrip there.
enjoy! be in touch! miss you already!!!
-sm

Unknown said...

I can't believe you would put Jeff's name before mine! Jeff can barely turn a computer on much less a woman :-). Glad everything is going well and you can call me anytime, unless I'm at the jiggly room!

lynn said...

Good evening Jason,`Your blog is great now I can follow you I will read your blog at least 2X a week.
ALOHA my Frined(guess who )