Sunday, August 10, 2008

Interesting Jamaican Tidbits

Coke or Juice?

My cousin pointed out one time in the early 90's that in Northern California everyone calls every kind of soft drink a "Coke". "Do you want a Coke?" somebody would ask holding out a 7-Up. Not sure if its as true today as it was then, but Jamaicans have a similar drink structure.

"Juice" seems to be most sorts of cold liquid, though sometimes not including soda (though I've heard it)

"Tea" is any sort of hot liquid with the exception of soup.

"Biscuit" is any sort of cracker, cookie or biscuit. Though that's an British thing.

I'll let you know if I hear of more.

Oh on the soda string, Jamaica's LOVE sugar. I think I have a way for Coca-Cola to make a ton of money here. Market "New Coke S4 - All the Caffeine of regular coke with 4X the amount of sugar!" it would kill!

I have to say that as time passes I have been able to relax more and enjoy the beauty of Jamaica. We went to a small beach yesterday in the incredible warm clear water and thought to myself what a treat after a hard weeks work. I have never been a beach person, but Jamaica may change me yet.

We have three more weeks until graduation. It will be nice to be an official volunteer. I hope I can make it! The language class has been very challenging to me. My brain just doesn't take to new languages very well. I've stepped up the studying, with all the stresses here, I've probably haven't paid as much attention to it as I should have. Wish me luck!

I hope all of my friends at home are doing well, shoot me an e-mail to let me know how you are doing. Would love to catch up on whats going on with you.

2 comments:

keith mcdee said...

i thought you'd be interested to know that, yes, hot drinks are called tea, and yes, soups are not called tea, there is one exception. fish soup (sip) is quite often referred to as fish tea. it doesnt sound like a tea i would like to drink, but it is usually pretty tasty. and there is no fear of chicken feet in it.

hope things are going well.

Mark and Donnel said...

Hey Jason- Good thing for google or we wouldn't know if you were still alive!!! Good to see you are safe and sound.