Friday, August 15, 2008

On Being a Tech

So my job here has been pretty great. I start out walking about a mile down the road to the main highway here (two lane road) and take a $50 Jamaican taxi ride to my school. The road is great with a beautiful view of the ocean. My school has a great view of the ocean as well and is well built. Inside are some great teachers that I have met and started friendships with. Some of the computers need a lot of work but that's what I'm here for. I've fixed up 4 already and didn't even have to call Jeff or Joe! They must be so proud!

I haven't thought about being a tech since I was on the help desk and I have to say it's been fun so far. Lots of small challenges that you get to fix immediately, and larger challenges that take a while to figure out. So far very satisfying. The long fixes will be to develop the community center technology and programs. I guess I have it all covered.

Of course I have to say that the students aren't there yet, and I have never really worked with students before. I have the feeling that's going to bring a whole new dimension to it...

I have one more week at my site until I go back to Kingston for final testing and graduation. My language skills have really been poor so far, so this week I've really stepped it up. Thanks to my new friends at the school I hope to be prepared for that final testing. I'll be really embarrassed if I come back to the states for not passing!

So if you see me around back in the states don't ask why!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We'll see you back in the states on you vacations of course! But you'll be back here for good in a few years. No Worries

Anonymous said...

annnd what ever you do don't ask Jeff for help over the phone...

Nicole said...

Jason. I didn't know you had to take a test and pass! The language? You mean Jamaican?? Holy Lord, good luck with that. So, maybe I'll get to see you soon. Good for me! hee hee Nah, I am sure you will pass...