Monday, February 9, 2009

Rainy Morning

So it's a rainy morning here in Jamaica.  I just got a call that school has been canceled so all I have to do today is go over the cooks house and help him with his computer.  Thankfully he has a car so is going to pick me up.  Mr. Core the cook is a great friend to have as he hooks me up daily with a huge tasty lunch that makes dinner unnecessary.  This is a man who can have all the computer repair services he needs!  The last few weeks have been mostly uneventful.  The school has been keeping me busy as they received 55 or so new computers and a second server.  They sent the 2nd server already configured so all we had to do was put the old server on the new network and then put all the current computers on that network as well.  That is a bigger job because now that we have a stronger network from the fiber optic connections that were finally installed, I have to put computers that never made it on the first network on it as well.  Then of course we have to clean up those old computers before installing..... oh well boring stuff to most anyway that's whats been keeping me busy.  The after school teacher class is going well, I feel lucky for that class because it satisfies my Peace Corps goals and leaves me time to do the work that the school really wants me to do, be a computer tech.

Other than that I had a nice trip to Ocho Rios and had a tasty burger (a rare treat) and hung out with some fellow volunteers.  I'm trying to plan a little something to celebrate my birthday at the end of the month, but it's becoming complicated.  I might just settle for a few friends over and to cook some nice food and watch a movie.  I find that I am spending way to much of my own money so have to find ways to chill on that.  I might need every penny that I have when I come back, looking at the job market and hearing stories from people back home.

My project to start a digital camera club at the school got a nice boon as I received a few more cameras from my old company.  Thanks guys!  I'll be sending personal thank yous soon to the folks that donated.  I just need a couple more and I'll be ready to start.  I've been talking to some of the kids and received some interest.  I've created an outline of the lesson plans, got an ok from the principal, so now I'm almost ready to go!  I find that alot of my creative juices get zapped here from daily life so this project is moving slower than I would like.

Well that's it for now.  I need to get ready for my repair job to keep getting double helpings of lunch!

1 comment:

kdkdkd said...

Jason,

It has been fun reading about your journey.

My wife and I are coming to Jamaica with the next group of volunteers. We are suppose to depart Miami March 17 (or there about). I'm also assigned to be an ITC for the Youth as Promise program. I’m looking forward....

When you get time, send me an eMail, I have a few questions for you.

Thanks !

skybluefungus@gmail.com