Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Long Overdue

Approaching the midpoint in my service I find myself in a routine.  The newness of the experience is wearing off and I feel like my job at the high school is just like any other job.  Kind of doing the daily grind.  So I'm now on a quest to spice things up.  My lack of posting is due to a lack of interesting things occurring, so please forgive me.  There is a homeless shelter that is asking for volunteers in a nearby town that I'm going to check out.  The photography club is just about ready to kick off, and the business association is planning new activities for the year so my life should become bloggable soon.

Good news with my literacy student though, he is really improving and followed through with an assignment to read 3 books.  I think I'm going to set up a reading program like I had in the library when I was a kid for the summer time.  For every X number of books he reads he gets a prize.  Lunch at KFC or something.  

I'll be looking for summer activities as well, the school always has stuff going on and computers to fix and viruses to kill, but I'll need extra things to keep me busy.  Now that the equipment is all setup, it feels like I've already accomplished my goal here, so its off to find new goals and new challenges.

Oh one more point about computer viruses, if your a virus creator and happen to come across this blog, please die.  Die, die, die, die and die.  In computer challenged countries, a virus can knock out all the computers at a school for months.  My school is lucky to have antivirus supplied by the ministry of education, but it still takes me and the tech at the school a whole lot of time fighting them... ok phew that was some negative energy getting out.  I feel better now.

Oh I had a great birthday by the way, thanks for all my good birthday wishes on Facebook and my friends here making my day special.  Plus loved ones back home.

No comments: